Sunday 21 August 2011

Blah Prompt

A week or so ago I decided that I was going to try and get my foot back in the door of fanfiction writing (in the hope that it would prompt even more of a desire to write something original). In an effort to make this happen I signed up for a challenge, hoping against hope that I would get something that would lead to a 'happy ever after' ending and little to no conflict. Well, the prompt arrived today containing the words to a song I have never heard by a singer I have never heard of (Bruno Mars anyone?), my knowledge of singers is limited to Disney and artists like Norah Jones and Michael Bublé with a bit of Kelly Clarkson thrown in for good measure. Anyway, the song is called 'Grenade' and is about as conducive to a happy ending as an episode of EastEnders containing only the Mitchells and Ian Beale (I may not have seen the programme in at least 10 years but there was ever conflict between these factions ever since Kathy wed Phil and then ran off to Africa or wherever).

I am now umming and erring between sending the prompt back with a 'thanks but no thanks' note and dropping out altogether, or struggling to write something that doesn't have me wanting to slit my wrists before it is done. For anyone, like me, who has never heard the song, the words are pretty much alluding to "You don't love me but I love you enough to die for you"...yay, happy ending NOT! It wouldn't be quite so bad were it not for the fact that the story is a birthday one and the prompt is referring to one of my favourite pairings. Oh well, will decide while away this week and see what I can do. I have just posted on the page with the prompts that the song is going to end up with one of the characters committing suicide as the song is seriously that depressing...have also asked for help - perhaps they will give me a different prompt!

No comments:

Post a Comment